Why Is It Important to Have A Good Quality Alarm System in Your Home?
Did you know that Australia is ranked number 5 in the world for the greatest number of break-ins? Or that during 2017, 225,900 houses were broken into in Australia alone, that works out to one every three minutes! When we look at this by states, western Australia has the highest number of break-ins with 41,700 break-ins in one single year. Now we are not telling you these facts to scare you or make you feel unsafe in your own home. We are telling you, so you are aware of how common these things are and how important it is to have a good quality alarm system.
Below are some statistics about break-ins that might surprise you;
- A burglary occurs every three minutes in Australia alone.
- Homes without a security system have 80% more chance of being broken into.
- 65% of burglars actually know their victims.
- 85% of burglaries are committed by non-professionals.
- 65% of burglaries are committed during the hours of 6am – 6pm.
Take a minute to think, what is the most common time for burglars to break in? If you said night, then you are with 75% of the population. It is a common belief that burglars are more likely to attack at night when all members of the household are asleep. This myth could not be more wrong. 55% of burglaries actually happen during the day with 45% happening at night. The most common time for burglars to attack is between 10am and 3pm when the owners of the house are most likely out at work, decreasing their chances of getting caught.
Did you know that the best deterrent for burglars is the actual noise of the alarm itself? If you have ever heard an alarm going off you would know how loud, annoying and inconvenient the noise is. If burgers hear this alarm, then 70% of the time they don’t bother. This alarm allows surrounding neighbours to be aware that something is going on in the house and can cause a commotion, this means that the burglar will either leave quickly. Even if they choose to stay, they aren’t able to stay long enough to grab anything valuable without getting caught. By having a good quality alarm system your home is 80% more likely to NOT be broken into simply because it is no longer an easy target.
On average, it only takes burglars 5 minutes to break into your house, get everything they want and then get straight back out. If burglars cannot easily locate your belongings, or they are locked away securely, burglars generally will not spend a lot of time trying to locate your belongings or trying to unlock safes. Most burglars these days are not very motivated and if they are unable to easily grab your valuables, they will just take whatever is in site, if anything at all and will generally move onto an easier target.
So why should I get an alarm system?
- Protect your valuables
- Provide your family with peace of mind
- Protect your home and family from intruders
- Save on homeowner’s insurance
Homeowners insurance is a mandatory part of becoming a homeowner in most circumstances. The cost of this type of insurance coverage varies on location, coverage, payment plans, insurance company, type of house and a few other factors. Some people see homeowner’s insurance as a waste of money, those who have ever had to use it (or wish that had had it to use) will disagree
- Security systems not only protect family and possessions, but they also provide protection for pets.
- Home security systems allow for homeowners to secure less frequented areas of the home such as the basement and the garage. This makes it more difficult for intruders to take their preferred methods of entry into the home and go unnoticed.
- Home security systems mean that homeowners do not have to depend upon neighbours to watch over their home when they are away. There is less chance of human error with alarm systems.
- Home alarm systems prevent home intruders from staying too long if they do gain access to the house since there is a higher likelihood of them being scared away when an alarm is sounding loudly.
- Modern wireless alarm systems are affordable and much easier to set up and maintain than the wired systems of the past.
- Having a home alarm system installed actually increases your home value when it comes to selling your home.
- As an added bonus, it also keeps your home protected throughout the selling process where a number of strangers will be inside your home.
- Homes with security systems installed have a quicker emergency response time because they cut out the middleman and directly contact authorities for faster dispatch.
What makes someone a target for burglaries?
There are many reasons why a premise may be a target for burglars, so we have provided for you a list of the most common reasons, so you know what to avoid cutting down your chances of being burgles. They are categories by 3 specific factors, take a look below;
- Lack of activity
- Houses that appear vacant or unoccupied
- Rubbish bins left outside on the curb
- No lights turned on inside the house in the evening
- No vehicles parked in the driveway
- An overflowing mailbox
- Houses located in an affluent area
- Houses that have expensive cars in the driveway
- Any valuable items on display or in view either in the yard or in the window
- Common mistakes burglars look for from most common to least common:
- Doors/windows left open
- Minimal security
- Easy to enter backyards
- Detectable keys
- False security systems
- Environmental design
What can I do in addition to an alarm to protect my home?
Besides an alarm system there are some small things that you can do to deter burglars from your home such as;
- A barking dog
- Sensor lights on the outside of the property
- Lights on inside the house
- Grilled windows/doors
- Put up warning signs
What are some of the most common items burglars take?
Below is a list of the 10 most common house-hold items that are stolen during break-ins:
- Mobile phones
- Purses, wallets and handbags
- Identification documents
- Computer and video game equipment
At Austech surveillance and it we can provide you with a fully functioning, great quality alarm system. Each alarm system is unique to each customer which is why we cannot give a general price. If you would like a quote on an alarm system please do not hesitate to contact us on 1300 737 225 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our friendly staff will be able to help you out.
We can also provide you with signs and stickers to put up around your house warning intruders that your property is under 24-hour surveillance. If this is something you would be interested in, we offer these for a very small fee or for free with any alarm installation.
At Austech Surveillance and IT, we know that alarms systems can sometimes be an unexpected cost and that they are quite costly, this is why we offer all our clients different finance options to allow you to secure your home or business without having to stress about coming up with the money upfront.
We know that these statistics can sound scary and we promise we are not trying to scare you. We are trying to raise awareness of the actual number of break-ins that happen just within WA alone. You see, everyone thinks ‘it won’t happen to me’ until it does. Don’t wait until it’
s too late, take the step forward now and secure your home or business before the burglars have a chance to take what’s important to you.
At Austech Surveillance and IT we protect what’s important to you,
The Austech Surveillance and IT Team.