Opening Hours

Monday – Friday

8am – 5pm

Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays

Closed

**Emergency services are available but charges will apply**

Electrical

How do I know if my electrical outlet is burning?

  1. Discolouration of wall outlets

One main warning sign that your electrical outlet may be burning is if you start to notice the wall behind the outlet start to become discoloured. It can mean that your outlet is burning from the inside or that your outlet is damaged.

2. Experiencing a tingling sensation

If you go to plug in an electrical appliance such as your phone charger or your toaster and you feel a tingling sensation as you do it, it is important to not disregard it. This tingling sensation is a warning sign for a major electrical issue and it is crucial you get an electrician out as soon as possible to take a look at it before further injury occurs.

3. Burning smell

If you start to smell something burning around your outlet it is crucial you replace it sooner rather than later. This means that your outlet is burning from the inside.


Why do my lights flicker?

  1. Faulty lightbulbs

In most cases, when a light bulb starts flicking it is a problem with the light bulb itself, not your electrical wiring. Make sure your light bulb is connected properly, if it is and it still isn't working, try to replace the light bulb. If this still doesn't work, call and electrician and they will be able to sort it out for you.

2. A large appliance start-up

When turning on large appliances such as an air conditioner or clothes dryer, it uses a significant amount of power to start it up. This sudden draw of power will cause your lights to either flicker or dim.

When are flickering lights a problem?

If all the lights in your home or part of your home are flickering, this is when it can indicate that there is a problem. Mulitple flickering lights can indicate power arching which is a potentially dangerous problem that occurs when a current jumps between small gaps in wiring connections. The arching sucks power which generates heat which can cause a serious electrical fire hazard.


Can I DIY electrical repairs?

Although it can be tempting to DIY electrical repairs, we strongly urge that you do not. Electricians have to undergo extensive training and certification processes to obtain their license. They know exactly what they are doing so let them to their job.

By trying to DIY your electrical repairs you may be at risk of;

  1. Starting a fire
  2. Getting an electric shock
  3. Finding yourself in a bit of legal trouble.

You may not know this but some electrical projects actually require a permit to complete. Performing these projects without the proper permits and licenses may result in a hefty fine or even jail time depending on the seriousness of it.


Why is my light switch hot?

There are a number of reasons why your light switch may be hot - none of them good. If your light switch it hot it means there could be a serious problem with it and it is crucial to get an electrician out as soon as possible to sort it out for you.

1.The switch is overloaded

Light switches have a limit of how much power they are able to handle. All light switches are able to handle different amounts of power so if your light switch is drawing more power then it can handle it can cause the switch to become overloaded which can cause a serious fire risk. To fix this, our electricians can simple swap your light switch to one that can handle more power.

2.The switch is failing

Light switches, just like anything start to fail after a long period of time. As they get older a small spark on the electrical contacts will be emitted whenever you turn the light on and off. Soon the contacts won’t meet properly, and electricity will flow more freely, creating heat. This can create a serious fire risk. So, remember to replace your light switches before they get too old!

3.Faulty wiring

If your light switch is not wired properly, it will become extremely hot. Loose or broken wires that are still slightly touching will allow the light switch to function. However, the electricity will be forced through a smaller path, and this will create heat. Once again creating a serious fire hazard.

4.Functions of dimmer switches

It is normal for dimmer switches to be warm. This is part of the function of these switches. As they dissipate the electricity to brighten or dim the lights, they will get warm. If you think that they are much warmer than they normally are then give us a call to have a look for you.