What is Network Maintenance?
Network Maintenance simply is doing whatever it takes in order to keep a network up and running. It can include some of the following tasks;
- Troubleshooting network problems.
- Hardware and software installation/configuration.
- Monitoring and improving network performance.
- Planning for future network growth.
- Creating network documentation and keeping it up-to-date.
- Ensuring compliance with company policies.
- Ensuring compliance with legal regulations.
- Securing the network against all kind of threats.
This list may vary depending on your network.
At Austech Surveillance & IT we will look after;
- Fault Managment: configuring your network devices (routers, switches, firewalls and servers) to capture logging messages and send them to an external server. Whenever an interface goes down or the CPU goes above 80% we will recieve an email so we can log in and see whats going on.
- Configuration managment: Any changes that are made to the network have to be logged. We will notify relevant personnel when we plan on undergoing network changes. Every change to the network, no matter how big or small has to be logged and reported!.
- Accounting managment: We will charge users for usage of the wireless network so they'll pay for a part of the data.
- Security Managment: We create security policies and impliment them by using firewalls, VPNS and intrusion prevention systems. Network breaches are all logged and appropriate responses are made.
- Replacment of Hardware: Older hardware has to be replaced with more modern equipment to make sure you are getting the best out of your network.
- Back-ups: If you want to make sure you can recover from network preoblems such as failing switches or routers then we need to make sure we have recent back-ups of configurations. Most times we will use scheduled back-ups so you are able to save the running-configuration either daily, weekly or monthly, whenever you like.
- Software updates: We need to keep network decises and operating systems up-tp-date. This not only allows all bugs to be fixed but also to make sure we dont have devices that are running older software that has security vulnerabliities.